The Game of Zeros

by 09:17 0 comments

GMAT is- The Game of Zeros!


  • Zero Cramming
  • Zero Stress
  • Zero Gullibility

After I had tried the golden path of "work hard, practise a zillion problems and you will succeed" and had failed spectacularly, I made it a point to NOT prepare for my GMAT. I had finally understood the truth -

The GMAT Mind Games that we as test takers play on ourselves, or allow the test makers to play on us, are the real reason for how well we perform on the GMAT.


You see, when you really want that Amazing score, you try a lot of different things. You tell yourself, "Alright! I am going to go through every guide and every question that was ever created for GMAT preparation". But, then nothing spectacular happens.

I already possessed the verbal and math skills that you'd assume one needs to succeed on the GMAT. Why then was my score not moving? Well, the answer stared at me like a lion before it swallowed my beliefs about GMAT prep.

How could I have not seen this? Isn't this the thing that was so obvious that anyone could see it, do it and succeed? Isn't this what I do in other areas of my life?

The things that boosted my score:

1. Practising my test-taking skills under the proper conditions. (Zero Stress)

2. Ensuring that I analyse the handful of problems that I did solve so as to understand HOW the test makers make the questions tougher or try to trick people into clicking the wrong answer. (Zero cramming and zero gullibility)

3. Finally, ensuring that I was very well rested before any practise tests or the actual test. Rest was so important.

First my practise test scores improved and then my actual score improved. All within a month. I had learnt my lesson, although the same lessons have been used by me in life even after the GMAT phase passed.

How did I apply lessons from the GMAT in my life? We'll find out in the next post.

=================================================

If you liked my post, you can always check out my kindle book here:

http://www.amazon.com/GMAT-Improve-Drastically-Business-School-ebook/dp/B00A7CTV1A/

0 comments:

Post a Comment