What's Tim Grover and Basketball Got To Do with GMAT Performance?

by 02:38 0 comments

Yesterday, I had an extremely crucial Skype call to attend. But, for some reason technology decided to give me the slip and I wasn't even able to connect. It WAS a major setback considering that I worked for a long time just for that ONE call. Luckily, things turned out well, but even before they had turned out well, the way I reacted was amazing. For some reason, the incident had fired me up instead of making me feel disappointed.

My thought process was: Even if I get 30 seconds, I am sure I will be able to get my message across.

And I noticed that reaction and thought to myself, "What is going on? Is this how I always react to setbacks? With more energy and determination?" And the answer from all levels of my conscience was a resounding YES!!!

That's the reaction that GMAT test takers must have when they face setbacks on the way to their dream score!

Then, a friend of mine shared a link to Tim Grover's book and said I might find it useful:
Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable

Of course, I have followed Tim for a long time, but never read the book. For the uninitiated, Tim Grover is the man who trained Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Dwayne Wade (along with countless others), and helped these amazing super-performers become "Unstoppable". There a lot of "Self-help" Gurus out their, but how many can claim to have churned out superstar after superstar?

When I was done with the book, it struck me - everything that Tim says in his book applies to GMAT as well. I mean ultimately, most first time GMAT test takers do not score their dream scores. Usually, there is a major gap between what they score and what they would like to score.

Some people close the gap quickly, and others don't.

Here's how the "Top Performers" score that elusive score after failing the first time (and how Tim's advice applies to performance on the GMAT):

1. By thriving under pressure: That's the reason 2 people who score same in practice, end up scoring different scores on Test Day! Nervousness kills performance on the GMAT!

2. By not recognizing failure: It is highly common to have to retake the test. But, most people give up after their first attempt! High performers "expect" that a retake may be necessary and simply consider any setbacks as bumps in the road.

3. By controlling the uncontrollable: Emotions, Timing, and Intellectual Stamina - these are the 3 things that need to be controlled. You can't be emotional or egoistic about some question that you couldn't answer. You must have a proper timing strategy so you don't run out of time near the end. And you must have trained yourself to sit through 4 hours of GMAT without running out of gas. Those who make a come back on the GMAT, control these apparently uncontrollable things.

By the way, on the GMAT, the test makers are your "Competition". They will try to trick you every step of the way, they will try to get in your head, and they will place a number of obstacles in your way. But, ultimately, you will triumph.

So heed Tim's advice and become Unstoppable!

0 comments:

Post a Comment